Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chayote Squash


I actually had never heard of Chayote Squash.  While grocery shopping recently, I really took my time and browsed all of the produce.  Touching, smelling, looking like a weirdo, haha!  I came across the Chayote Squash.  They looked sort of like pears and peeked my interest.  And at 2/$1.00 I couldn't resist.  I grabbed two of them having no idea what they taste like or how to cook them.  When I got home I googled "Chayote Squash" and came across this recipe on allrecipes.com that sounded tasty and it had good reviews.   I followed the recipe except I doubled it and used lime juice in place of the vinegar as many reviewers suggested.  I also used a packet of Truvia in place of the sugar.  And I didn't add the red pepper flakes because I wanted my little guy to eat them. (I guess I altered the recipe alot, ha!)  I was going to add the red pepper flakes to my plate after cooking...but I forgot when I took my first bite.  It was so good I just continued to gobble up every tasty Chayote morsel on my plate.  (so good, I forgot to take a pic before we ate it all.)  It was sort of apple-y tasting, but not as sweet.  Not summer or winter squash like at all.  So two of these suckers cost me a total of $1.00 and fed all four of us as a side dish with dinner and I had a (very) small amount left over to have with my lunch the next day.  Can't beat that!  Without question, we will be enjoying Chayote on a regular basis.  Suits our taste buds and wallet :p



No comments:

Post a Comment