Friday, September 23, 2011

Feeling good!

Just want to start off by saying how proud I am of myself!  WHOOT!  I have been eating healthy for the last 3 weeks.  I have lost a little over 6 pounds and I feel great.  I do need to get some more exercise in, as my plan to wake up early and work out on the Total Gym just is not happening.  I am simply NOT a morning person.  I need to dedicate at least 20 minutes five days a week to the Total Gym.  I just need to prioritize my time after work better to do so.

In spite of my lack luster and often non existent exercising, my pants are fitting looser and I have lost those 6+ pounds I mentioned earlier.

A woman that I work with approached me and asked if I would be interested in having a little friendly "Biggest Loser" style competition with her .  Hell yeah!  We decided that the Biggest Loser would receive a $10.00 gift card from the other.  I'm all for it.  We are doing it for 10 weeks.  Then after those 10 weeks we will start the competition again, and again, until we reach our goals.  Of course we both want to win, but regardless of who the winner is, we will both be WINNING!  We will both be sticking to our plans, encouraging each other, and just being healthier in general.

Even though I haven't really been getting my workout on at home, I have been sneaking a little bit in here and there at work.  I keep a weighted hula hoop at the office and I have been hooping during lunch when I watch my shows.  I also walked around our building one day.  I am going to try and do that everyday.  I am entitled to two 15 minute breaks a day and I am going to start taking them.  WHY NOT!?  I think I just decided that I will take two walks everyday.  If I recall correctly one lap around the building is a 1/4 mile.  I need to double check just so I can log my activity daily.  But regardless, it will be exercise and fresh air. (I rarely leave the building for fear that I won't come back, haha!)  I also have a Pilates Toning Ring in my office.  I do not use it like it is intended, instead I use it like a Thigh Master a'la Suzanne Somers and to work my arms.  Oh, excuse me, I said I use it.  I meant I will dust it off tomorrow and then I will do those things I mentioned.  My job also has a small gym.  There are two treadmills, a Gazelle and some other things in there.  I can walk or "gazelle" in there if the weather is bad or if I just wanted a little change of pace.  I really have no excuse.  Just need to do it.

Below is a quick list of the changes I made to my daily routine:

  • eliminate white sugar
  • drink at least 1.5 quarts of water a day
  • take multi vitamin
  • eat 6 small meals a day
  • eat fresh fruit and/or vegetable with at least 5 out of 6 meals
  • sneak in exercise whenever possible
  • try to eliminate all processed foods
  • only whole grains

I am enjoying eating healthy meals and snacks.  I have always loved fresh fruits and veggies, and I have always eaten a good amount of them.  But I have also mixed in a lot of processed foods and sweets.  I will always have a sweet tooth, but I am learning to appreciate the natural sweetness of fruit again.  I honestly am preferring the sweetness of a juicy clementine or some frozen red seedless grapes over cake or a doughnut.  I have been VERY good during the work day despite the constant influx of baked goods and random junk that my boss continues to bring in.  This past week alone, there were brownies, 3 different containers of cookies, more than half of a 1/4 sheet birthday cake, and a big bowl of miniature candy bars. I have not indulged in one single morsel.  I refuse.  I am letting the sight of the junk piss me off.  I have found that is my best defense.  It may not be the right way, but it is working for me.  What is a little scary though is that it doesn't look like any of the cake has been touched.  That most likely means that in the past I was the main culprit in devouring any baked goods that were brought in.  haha!  Whatever.  I hope that bastard cake rots all over the counter.  I WILL NOT EAT YOU!  

What else??  Oh, I am learning to like water.  I really don't think I will ever LOVE straight up water.  It's just so... blah.  But I am loving water with lemon or lime in it.  Sometimes I add a packet of Truvia to make lemonade or limeade.  Yum!

I have not added any white sugar to anything in about a month.  I have replaced sugar with Truvia in my occasional coffee.  I use honey, Truvia or agave nectar in my smoothies and tea and when needed in cooking.  Sometimes I use brown sugar as well.  But NO white sugar.  It is extra bad and I don't want it in my system.  I also don't want any sugar substitutes that contain saccharin or aspartame.  Truvia has replaced Splenda and Equal for me.  It is all natural, made from Stevia (which is a plant) and calorie free.

I've been getting in more whole grains.  I have always preferred them with the exception of white rice.  I truly do love me some white rice.  But I have not been eating it.  I switched us to brown rice.  I can't say I love brown rice, but it is growing on me.  Quinoa is a favorite of mine as well as steel cut oats.  Frigging yum!  I can't even eat regular oatmeal anymore, haha!  I haven't been eating much bread lately, but when I do it is 100% whole wheat or some other whole grain bread.  I honestly can't remember the last time I had white bread.  I don't think my kids have ever tasted bread that is not brown.  And my oldest is almost 17.

I have been adding 100% organic Coconut oil to my diet daily.  Yes it is a fat, but it is a healthy fat.

The health benefits ococonut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

When I have toast I spread a little on instead of butter.  I add a small amount to my steel cut oats.  I add it to my roasted root vegetables.  It is very good for you and the flavor is delicious!  I bought two jars of it and I keep one in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom.  I have been using only coconut oil as a moisturizer for my skin and it is phenomenal!  I use it my hair a few times a week before bed as well.

I have not been drinking alcohol as much.  I'm not a big drinker, but in the summer I definitely drink more.  Over the past 3 weeks I have cut my alcoholic libations from 3-4 a week to just one.  I think this has had an impact on my weight loss.

I have had ice cream when I wanted it (if I had the calories to spare).  I am just not willing to deprive myself of everything.  I won't last if I restrict everything from my life.  I don't want this new way of eating to be a diet, this is a new way of life for me.  I am not eating like this for a certain period of time, this is how I want to eat for the rest of my life.  Food should nourish your body and give you energy.  Not hold you down and make you sluggish.  I want to continue to look at food simply as nourishment.  Eat to live not live to eat.  Don't get me wrong, I will always love the taste of food.  I don't want that to change, but food should not be the center of my universe.  It should not be the focus of a get together, rather the company of good friends and family should be.

Healthy breakfast, snacks and lunch are all ready for tomorrow and I am prepared to continue down my road to a healthier happier me.  Feeling good!  :)  Now if I could just get my butt in the bed earlier.  UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment