Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BACTERIA CAFETERIA!

Did you know that studies have found that the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat!!??  How disgusting is that?  Your phone, keyboard, mouse and where your hands lay on your desk are the dirtiest.

Studies showed that one of the least contaminated areas in the workplace was...are you ready??... THE TOILET!  Hmm, I know they did not include my office building in this study.  I'm not buying that the toilets in this place are one of the least contaminated areas.  I SEE THE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT MY ARGUMENT ON THE DAILY.

Other areas in the workplace that are germ infested are the water cooler, microwave handles, bathroom faucet handles, (I say) toilet seats and handles, and all doors.

I am grossed out on a daily basis at my job by the lipstick smudges on the spout of our water cooler.  We all know exactly who the culprit is, but no one has the balls to say anything to her, ha!  And I always think about all of the other people who probably rub their water bottle all over the spout too, but we just don't know about it because they don't leave a lipstick trail behind.

photo courtesy of www.tboblogs.com

I am also mortified by the number of people I hear NOT wash their hands after going to the bathroom in this joint.  The walls are paper thin in the bathrooms and unfortunately I can hear everything that goes down in there.  And I mean...EVERYTHING!  Including, who did not wash their hands.  Then I think about how these people are going to go fill up their water bottle and touch the dispenser handle, or possibly open the fridge and spread their germs all over the fridge handle. Oh now it's time for lunch and they will using the microwave.  How about a little fecal matter with your chicken noodle soup.  Mmmm. 

Many people bring in food and then forget to take home or dispose of the leftovers. Then the food spoils and is probably contaminating everything in the fridge. The office refrigerator should be cleaned out once a week.  I think I am going to try and implement a new routine.  I am going to place a pack of post it notes and a marker in the kitchen and ask everyone to please write their name and the date on a post it and place it on their container or bag when putting it in the fridge.  This will hopefully serve as a reminder to them to eat or discard at the end of the week.  I am often the person who gets stuck cleaning out the fridge, I guess because it just bothers me most.  I can't say I have much regard for what container belongs to who.  If it has hair and is green it gets tossed, I don't care who's it is.  But if everyone had their names on the containers, it would definitely make my "job" easier.  I could just pull out all of the spoiled items and put them on the counter and send an email to all of the Shenaniganizers and tell them to collect their containers.


To keep office areas clean and bacteria free use disinfectant wipes or spray to routinely clean these surfaces.  By doing so microorganisms can be reduced by 99% or more.  If using a spray, wipe with paper towels, and change the towels frequently to avoid spreading bacteria from one surface to another.

Point of this post could be many.
  • Wash your hands after using the bathroom (your mom should've taught you that...)
  • Be mindful that others will be using the water cooler after you, since it isn't your private property.  So don't rub your germ covered bottle all over the spout.  Simply hover your bottle under the spout and allow the water to pour into the bottle.
  • PEOPLE ARE INCONSIDERATE.
  • Clean and disinfect your desk regularly since it is 400 times grosser than a toilet. 
  • Throw away your unwanted food in the refrigerator, since your mom nor your maid are here to do it for you.
  • PEOPLE ARE SLOBS.
  • Use paper towels to shut off the faucet, shut off the light and open the door in the bathroom because you never know what the person before you did in there or if they washed their hands.
  • Wash hands frequently.
  • PEOPLE ARE DIRTY BEASTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment