Thursday, October 27, 2011

Totally broke! What's for dinner?

So I have to food shop in my pantry this week. Normally I do order lunch at work a couple times a week, but this week I am completely tapped. So I am challenging myself to come up with good meals that I can be excited about bringing to work. So last night I made:

Rice Meatballs in Spinach Tomato Basil Soup over Mashed Potatoes

This is the rough recipe since I don't really measure when I cook.

1 Pound Ground Beef
Spinach
Onion
Egg
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Italian Seasoning
Olive Oil
Bread Crumbs
Rice
2 Cans Progresso Tomato Basil Soup
1 small can Tomato Sauce
Water
Mashed Potatoes (I used instant)

I made the meatballs out of the hamburg, egg, chopped onion, chopped garlic (I used a whole bulb), breadcrumbs, oregano, Italian seasoning, about a cup and a half of uncooked rice, and I chopped up some of the spinach and mixed that into the meatballs. I rolled out about 25 meatballs.
In one pan I used olive oil and fried up the meatballs, don't go crazy on this they don't have to be completely done, they will cook more in the soup. In the other pan I brought the soup, sauce, and a little water to a boil. When the meatballs were done I transferred them to the sauce and turned it to low. In the pan that I had cooked the meatballs in I sauteed the remaining spinach.
After the meatballs had simmered for a bit, at least a half hour (covered), (test one to make sure the rice isn't still hard,) I added the sauteed spinach. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice if you prefer.

I also made up extra mashed potatoes, to use during the week.

I'm on the lookout for things to make with Ground Beef other than the standards (meatloaf, tacos, American chop suey etc.) So if you have any good ideas, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment